Starter: Beetroot Tart Tatin
Serves 2 people as a starter. For a main, double the recipe to make 2 Tatins.
- Heat oven to 200oC.
- Slice your cooked beetroot and red onion
- On a well-floured surface, set your pre rolled pastry sheet. Find a small round pan and use this this as a stencil to cut out a large circle in your pastry sheet.
- Place your beetroot, red onion and a couple pieces of butter into the pan, top with a few spoonful’s of the Mash Direct Red Cabbage & Beetroot and arrange so they cover the surface of your pan. Cover the veg with a drizzle of the balsamic glaze and a sprinkle of salt.
- Place your circular piece of pastry on top of the veg inside your pan, tucking it in all round the edges.
- Place your pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes till the pastry is golden brown.
- While your Tatin is baking, add your goat’s cheese and milk to bowl and mix well till smooth.
- Remove your pan from the oven and leave to one side to cool for 2 minutes. Be very carful of the hot handle.
- Slide a pallet knife around the edge of the tart and then place a plate on top of your pan. Turn the pan over and turn the tart onto your plate.
- Top your tart with a few spoonful’s of your goats cheese mix, some sea salt flakes and salad leaves to serve.
Main: Beef Shin Bourguignon
- Heat oven to 150oC.
- Slice your carrot and celery and dice your onion.
- Add your oil to a hot pan, reduce the heat to medium and gently fry your carrot, celery onion and garlic, be sure the vegetables do not burn. Fry for around 5 minutes until the veg has softened and leave to one side
- Season your meat and coat in your flour.
- For cooking your meat, you will need a deep casserole pot or pan with a lid. Add your butter to the pot to melt and on a high heat brown your meat, around 1 minute each side.
- Add your glass of red wine into the pan with your meat, bring the wine to the boil and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat down to medium and add in your stock, bay, thyme, rosemary, balsamic, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Mix in your cooked vegetables and heat through for 2- 3 minutes
- Remove from the heat and place the lid on your pot and put in the oven. Cook for 3-4 Hours until the meat is tender and falling on the bone and liquid has been reduced. 1 Hr before it is ready add in your mushrooms and pop back in the oven.
- You could also use a slow cooker, 4 hours on the high setting and 8 on the low setting.
- Cook your Mash Direct Mashed Potato and Green Cabbage as per cooking instructions, top your bourguignon with your chopped parsley and serve.
Dessert: Treat yourself to your favourite shop bought dessert!