1. Place fish into a saucepan and cover with equal parts milk and water, enough to fully submerge the fish. Add the bay leaves and peppercorns and bring to a boil.
2. Once the liquid is boiling turn down the heat and simmer for 5 mins. After 5 minutes remove from the heat and allow to stand, covered, for a further 10 mins to finish cooking the fish.
3. When the fish is cooked fully, remove from the liquid, and flake into large pieces, discarding the skin from the fish.
4. Mix Mash Direct Carrot & Parsnip along with the Mash Direct Mashed Potato before adding the flaked fish, chives and seasoning.
5. Lightly flour a surface and tip the mixture out. With floured hands, roughly split the mixture into 6 – 8 equal parts and shape into discs – approximately 3cm thick and around palm sized. Place onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
6. Transfer the fish cakes to the fridge for 30 minutes to ‘set’. Preheat your oven to 200oC.
7. After 30 minutes, coat each fish cake in the beaten egg before transferring it into the breadcrumbs. Gently pat the breadcrumbs onto the fish cake forming an even crust. Repeat with the remaining fish cakes.
8. Add 4 – 6 tbsp of vegetable oil to a frying pan so the base of the pan is fully covered in oil and heat on high until sizzling. Turn the pan down and fry the fish cakes over a medium heat for about 2 - 3 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
9. Add your fish cakes to a baking tray and place in your oven to cook through for 10 – 15 minutes.
10. Serve with a fried egg, fresh salad and a sprinkling of chives on top. Enjoy.